The Bauhaus University is a university located in Weimar, Germany and specializes in the artistic and technical fields.
Established in 1860 as the Great Ducal Saxon Art School, it gained collegiate status on 3 June 1910. In 1919 the school was renamed Bauhaus by its new director Walter Gropius and it received its present name in 1996.
Approximately 4,000 students are enrolled at the university today. Along with the University of Erfurt, the University of Jena and the Ilmenau University of Technology, the Weimar Bauhaus University is one of the four universities in the Free State of Thuringia.