Anhui Jianzhu University was established in 1958. In 1960, the university was turned into a normal college. In 1961 because of the cyclical nature of the Chinese economy, it began enrolling new students. In 1977, it was renamed Hefei University of Technology and the university began to offer undergraduate courses in Architecture once more. In 1986, the State Council granted approval for the university to be restructured as Anhui University of Architecture. In 1998 the university was accredited the national undergraduate teaching assessment. In 2007, the university was accredited with the national undergraduate teaching excellence assessment.