It is the flagship campus of the University of Arkansas System which comprises six main campuses within the state – the University of Arkansas at Little Rock, the University of Arkansas at Monticello, the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff, the University of Arkansas at Fort Smith, and the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences. Over 25,000 students are enrolled in over 188 undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs. It is classified by the Carnegie Foundation as a research university with very high research activity. Founded as Arkansas Industrial University in 1871, its present name was adopted in 1899 and classes were first held on January 22, 1872. It is noted for its strong architecture, agriculture (particularly animal science and poultry science), business, communication disorders, creative writing, history, law, and Middle Eastern studies programs.
The University of Arkansas completed its “Campaign for the 21st Century” in 2005, in which the university raised more than $1 billion for the school, used in part to create a new Honors College and significantly increase the university’s endowment. Among these gifts were the largest donation given to a business school at the time ($50 million), and the largest gift given to a public university in America ($300 million), both given by the Walton Family Charitable Support Foundation.
Total enrollment for the fall semester of 2013 was 25,365. The university campus comprises more than 130 buildings on 345 acres (1.40 km2), including Old Main, the first permanent academic building erected, and The Inn at Carnall Hall, which serves as an on-campus hotel and restaurant facility. Academic programs are in excess of 200. The ratio of students to faculty is 17:1.
University of Arkansas research articles from Innovation Toronto
- Rare materials at near-room temperature could lead to longer battery life, more memory in electronics – June 22, 2014
- Plastics to dust — a dream about to come true
- ‘Shakers’ Help Engineers Develop Inexpensive System for Testing Condition of Bridges
- New dispatch system could save money for trucking industry, make life easier for drivers
- Filmmaking Magic With Polymers
- Researchers Develop Device to Mitigate Blackouts, Prevent Equipment Damage
- Researchers Develop Effective Thermal Energy Storage System
- Shared Transportation System Would Increase Profits, Reduce Carbon Emissions
- UAMS researchers make breakthrough in radiation protection
- Using solar power to keep runways ice-free
- Algae Converted to Butanol: Fuel Can Be Used in Automobiles
- Developing a ‘smart cane’ for the blind