The University of Cincinnati (commonly referred to as Cincinnati or UC) is a comprehensive public research university in Cincinnati, in the U.S. state of Ohio, and a part of the University System of Ohio.
Founded in 1819 as Cincinnati College, it is the oldest institution of higher education in Cincinnati and has an annual enrollment of over 40,000 students, making it the second largest university in Ohio and one of the largest universities in the United States. In the 2010 survey by Times Higher Education (UK), the university was ranked in the top 100 universities in North America and as one of the top 200 in the world. Beginning with the 2011 edition of US News and World Report Best Colleges rankings, the University of Cincinnati has been ranked as a Tier One university. This includes being the number 3 ranked university in the nation in the “Up-and-Coming” National Universities section of the 2014 edition. In 2011-2012 academic year the Leiden University ranking put the University of Cincinnati at the 93rd place globally and at the 63rd place in North America by the proportion of top-cited publications.
The university garners nearly $500 million per annum in research funding, ranking 22nd among public universities in the US. Numerous programs across the university are nationally ranked, including: aerospace engineering, anthropology, architecture, classics, composition, conducting, cooperative education, criminal justice, design, environmental science, law, medicine, music, musical theater, neurology, opera, otolaryngology, paleontology, pediatrics, and pharmacy.
The school offers over 100 bachelor degrees, over 300 degree granting programs, and over 600 total programs of study, ranging from certificates to doctoral and first professional education. With an economic impact of over $3.5 billion per year, it is the largest single employer in Greater Cincinnati. After extensive renovations through the implementation of the 1989 Master Plan, the university has been recognized by campus planners and architects as one of the most distinguished campus settings in the world.
The Latest Updated Research News:
University of Cincinnati research articles from Innovation Toronto
- Low-Cost, ‘Tunable’ Window Tintings – June 12, 2015
- UC Researchers Say Reversal of Type 1 Diabetes In Mice May Help Humans – June 23, 2014
- VIDEO: Building Block for Exoskeleton Could Lead to More Independence Among the Elderly
- UC Research Brings a Future of Mind-Reading Robots Ever Closer
- SmartLight More Than a Bright Idea, It’s a Revolution in Interior Lighting Ready to Shine
- Tapping a Valuable Resource or Invading the Environment? Research Examines the Start of Fracking in Ohio
- Research Harnesses Solar-Powered Proteins to Filter Harmful Antibiotics from Water
- New Technique Successfully Dissolves Blood Clots in Brain and Lowers Risk of Brain Damage After Stroke
- Cancer Biomarker — Detectable by Blood Test — Could Improve Prostate Cancer Detection
- E-ink evolves: full color, video-capable, easy on the eye and cheap enough to be disposable
- New e-display promises high performance, low power usage
- New National Strategy for Era of Cyber Aggression