The University of Dundee (abbreviated as Dund. for post-nominals) is a public research university based in the city and Royal burgh of Dundee on the east coast of the central Lowlands of Scotland.
Founded in 1881 the institution was, for most of its early existence, a constituent college of the University of St Andrews alongside United College and St Mary’s College located in the town of St Andrews itself. Following significant expansion, the University of Dundee became an independent body in 1967 whilst retaining much of its ancient heritage and governance structure. Since its independence, the university has grown to become an internationally recognised centre for research.
The main campus of the university is located in Dundee’s West End, which also contains the university’s affiliated Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design and the Dundee Dental Hospital and School. The university also has additional facilities at Ninewells Hospital – containing its School of Medicine, Perth Royal Infirmary – which houses a clinical research centre, and in Kirkcaldy, Fife – containing part of its school of Nursing and Midwifery. Dundee has developed a significant reputation for students entering the traditional professions most notably law, medicine and dentistry as well as emerging areas such as life sciences and art.
The Latest Updated Research News:
University of Dundee research articles from Innovation Toronto
- Immune system ‘on switch’ breakthrough could lead to new targeted drugs – July 20, 2015
- Pesticides alter bees’ brains, making them unable to live and reproduce adequately – May 1, 2015
- New technology enables ultra-fast steering and shaping of light beams – January 12, 2014
- Levitating Cells with Ultrasonic Tweezers Provides a Sound Route to Bio-Engineering – June 4, 2014
- Dundee University scientists have made a major breakthrough that could stop devastating Parkinson’s disease ”in its tracks” – June 3, 2014
- New possibilities for efficient biofuel production
- Could the human clones of ‘Cloud Atlas’ be in our future?
- Bee decline could be down to chemical cocktail interfering with brains
- Motus lets users ‘film’ within any 3D environment
- Agloves give full 10-finger gloved touchscreen functionality