The European Space Agency (ESA) is an intergovernmental organisation dedicated to the exploration of space, with 20 member states.
Established in 1975 and headquartered in Paris, France, ESA has a staff of more than 2,000 with an annual budget of about €4.28 billion / US$5.51 billion (2013).
ESA’s space flight programme includes human spaceflight, mainly through the participation in the International Space Station programme, the launch and operations of unmanned exploration missions to other planets and the Moon, Earth observation, science, telecommunication as well as maintaining a major spaceport, the Guiana Space Centre at Kourou, French Guiana, and designing launch vehicles. The main European launch vehicle Ariane 5 is operated through Arianespace with ESA sharing in the costs of launching and further developing this launch vehicle.
ESA science missions are based at ESTEC in Noordwijk, Netherlands, Earth Observation missions at ESRIN in Frascati, Italy, ESA Mission Control (ESOC) is in Darmstadt, Germany, the European Astronaut Centre (EAC) that trains astronauts for future missions is situated in Cologne, Germany, and the European Space Astronomy Centre is located in Villanueva de la Cañada, Spain.
The Latest Updated Research News:
European Space Agency (ESA) research articles from Innovation Toronto
- “Polar-Sitting” Orbit via Solar Sailing – February 28, 2016
- New ESA Satellite to Revolutionise Telecom Market – July 14, 2015
- Breakthrough Laser Communication Technology to Revolutionize Earth Observation and Satellite Communication – November 29, 2014
- ‘Skinsuit’ to help astronauts avoid back problems in space
- Historic Demonstration Proves Laser Communication Possible
- Esa and NASA Stumped by Cosmic Mystery
- Snake robot on Mars?
- Space Laser To Prove Increased Broadband Possible
- Space Station Astronauts to Test 3-D Printing in Microgravity
- Station Astronauts Remotely Control Planetary Rover From Space
- ESA’s Proba-V Tracking Aircraft in Flight From Orbit
- Exposure to general anaesthesia could increase the risk of dementia in elderly by 35 percent
- Cities Of The Future, Built By Drones, Bacteria, And 3-D Printers
- ESA develops “snap-proof” space tether
- Housing on The Moon Could be Printed from Lunar Dust
- The Swiss shuttle that launches from the top of a plane
- How to avert Armageddon
- This 3D-Printed Moon Base Might Be The Future Of Space Exploration
- ESA is about to test Asteroid Deflection
- Armchair Science: Bag and Tag Glowing Galactic Clouds
- ‘Breakthrough’ for rocket engine
- From rocket fuel to clean cars
- Paintballs may deflect an incoming asteroid
- Out-Of-This-World Nanoscience: A Computer Chip That Can Assemble Itself?
- Strength in Numbers: Citizen Scientists Lending More Helping Hands (and Handhelds) to Help the Pros
- Final Frontier Design creating budget space suit for private space industry
- Workhorse Climate Satellite Goes Silent
- Waterproof fabric anntena could save people lost at sea