The University of Guelph (U of G) is a comprehensive public research university in Guelph, Ontario, Canada.
It was established in 1964 after the amalgamation of Ontario Agricultural College, the Macdonald Institute, and the Ontario Veterinary College, and has since grown to an institution of more than 28,000 students and academic staff. It currently offers over 94 undergraduate degrees, 48 graduate programs, and 6 associate degrees in many different disciplines.
The University of Guelph is consistently ranked as a top comprehensive university in Canada by Maclean’s magazine, and given top marks for student satisfaction among medium-sized universities in Canada by The Globe and Mail. It has held these rankings with its reputation, innovative research-intensive programs, and lively campus life cited as particular strengths. The University of Guelph has also been ranked 50th by Times Higher Education in their list of the top 100 universities under 50 years old. The university has a key focus on life science and has ranked 76-100 in the world by ARWU.
Currently, the faculty at the University of Guelph hold 39 Canada Research Chair positions in the research areas of natural sciences, engineering, health sciences and social sciences. Recent academic achievements include the first scientific validation of water on Mars, Alpha particle X-ray spectrometer (APXS) on board the Mars Exploration Rovers, and the Barcode of Life project for species identification.
The Latest Updated Research News:
University of Guelph research articles from Innovation Toronto
- Nanotech extends shelf life of fresh fruit that sees up to 40% wasted – June 18, 2016
- Chance Finding Could Transform Food and Biofuel Production – May 18, 2016
- Bee Flower Choices Altered by Exposure to Pesticides – March 15, 2016
- Bumblebees Have A New Job: Delivering Organic Pesticides – October 12, 2015
- Guelph Scientists Develop First Vaccine to Help Control Autism-Associated Bacteria
- Discovery Aims to Fight Destructive Bee Disease
- Crowd-sourcing brain research leads to breakthrough
- Potential breakthrough in treating late-stage ovarian cancer