The University of Hong Kong (informally known as HKU or Hong Kong University) is a public research university located in Pok Fu Lam, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong.
Founded in 1911 during the British Colonial era, it is the oldest tertiary institution in Hong Kong. The university was originally established in order to compete with other Great Powers that had opened higher learning institutions in China at the beginning of the twentieth century. The Hong Kong College of Medicine for Chinese, established in 1887, evolved to be the medical faculty, one of its first three faculties alongside Arts and Engineering. Academic life at the university was disrupted by the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong; however, following the end of the Second World War, the university underwent expansion with the founding of further departments and faculties.
Today HKU has 10 faculties with international students comprising around 24% of the student population. It exhibits strength in scholarly research and teaching of humanities, law, political sciences, biological sciences and medicine. It was the first team in the world which successfully isolated the corona virus, the causative agent of SARS, and has the most Academicians of the Chinese Academy of Sciences and Engineering (15) of any institution of the territory. The language of instruction is English, except when learning a particular language is an objective of the course.
The Latest Updated Research News:
University of Hong Kong research articles from Innovation Toronto
- Serendipitous discovery of new laws governing the “developmental biology of materials” – February 23, 2016
- New method for dynamic, stable skyrmions is developed – October 14, 2015
- Hong Kong University Makes Breakthrough in Gastrointestinal Treatment
- Predicting collective online behaviour
- Magnetic Spinal Rods Grow With Scoliosis Patients Reducing Need For Surgery
- Joining the club
- Inexpensive ‘nano-camera’ can operate at the speed of light
- Optical sensors improve railway safety
- LED light bulbs can be brighter and more energy efficient than ever
- Wireless devices go battery-free with new communication technique
- Firefighting Robot Paints 3D Thermal Imaging Picture for Rescuers
- Nanomedicine could outdo surgery
- Cotton with special coating collects water from fogs in desert
- A New Chapter for Chinese Medicine
- Can We Replace Professors With Computer Screens?
- Computerized Method for Matching Images in Photos, Paintings, Sketches Created
- Trapped Sunlight Cleans Water
- Solar-powered air-conditioning for vehicles developed