Until 1959 it was known as the Iowa State College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts.
Founded in 1858 and coeducational from its start, Iowa State became the nation’s first designated land-grant institution when the Iowa Legislature accepted the provisions of the 1862 Morrill Act on September 11, 1862, making Iowa the first state in the nation to do so. Iowa State’s academic offerings are administered today through eight colleges, including the graduate college, that offer over 100 bachelor’s degree programs, 112 master’s degree programs, and 83 at the Ph.D. level, plus a professional degree program in Veterinary Medicine.
ISU is classified as a Research University with very high research activity (RU/VH) by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. The university is a group member of the American Association of Universities and the Universities Research Association, and a charter member of the Big 12 Conference.
Iowa State University research articles from Innovation Toronto
- Scientists develop a new microbial fuel cell that requires no external energy source – July 6, 2016
- Scientists develop self-constructing nanodevices for diagnosing diseases – July 1, 2016
- Iowa State engineers develop micro-sized, liquid-metal particles for heat-free soldering – April 26, 2016
- A flexible skin that traps radar waves, cloaks objects – March 8, 2016
- Biorenewable chemicals take a major step forward – February 10, 2016
- Engineers develop micro-tentacles so tiny robots can handle delicate objects – June 23, 2015
- Iowa State engineers study the benefits of adding a second, smaller rotor to wind turbines – March 10, 2015
- Iowa State materials scientist developing materials and electronics that dissolve when triggered | transient electronics
- Highly Efficient Broadband Terahertz Radiation from Metamaterials
- Creating Accountable Anonymity Online
- Iowa State, Ames Lab engineers develop real-time, 3-D teleconferencing technology
- A Disease Cuts Corn Yields
- Firebrand for Science, and Big Man on Campus
- Ultrasound ‘Making Waves’ for Enhancing Biofuel Production
- Produce Industry’s Food Safety Push Takes Toll on the Environment
- Iowa State engineers design, test taller, high-strength concrete towers for wind turbines
- Iowa State Professor Weighs Benefit vs. Risk of Facial Recognition Technology
- Iowa State researchers double down on heat to break up cellulose, produce fuels and power
- The Solar-Powered Dream Car That Just Won A 1,650-Mile Race
- Flexible, heat-dissipating parts for electronics from spider silk?
- Researchers Find Genetic Break-Through
- Future Farmers Look Ahead
- Scientist developing self-healing biorenewable polymers
- Textured substrate increases efficiency of polymer solar cells by 20 percent