It was founded in 1971 as the result of merging different Technical Schools of Engineering and Architecture, originated mainly in the 18th century. Over 35,000 students attend classes during the year.
According to the annual university ranking conducted by El Mundo, the Technical University of Madrid ranks as the top technical university in Spain, and second overall. The majority of its Engineering Schools are consistently ranked as leading academic institutions in Spain in their fields, and among the very best in Europe.
The UPM is part of the TIME network, which groups fifty engineering schools throughout Europe.
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (UPM) research articles from Innovation Toronto
- Behaviour Changing Algorithm for Aggressive Driving? – December 5, 2014
- Trees that can increase biomass production – September 23, 2014
- Skin Cells Can Be Engineered Into Pulmonary Valves for Pediatric Patients – September 3, 2014
- New material to enhance crop yield | biochar
- Getting it right every time: A robot designed to guide the insertion of needles and catheters
- A new clean nuclear fusion reactor has been designed
- “Gloria” will allow internet astronomers to access worldwide robotic telescope network
- New System to Harness Energy from Ocean Currents
- A Spherical Robot for Exploration Missions
- New Drywall (gypsum board) can save up to 40% on energy consumption of a building
- World’s most efficient solar panel
- Artificial Intelligence for Improving Team Sports