The main campus is located on 121 hectares (300 acres) of land in the residential neighbourhood of Westdale, adjacent to Hamilton’s Royal Botanical Gardens. The university operates six academic faculties: the DeGroote School of Business, Engineering, Health Sciences, Humanities, Social Science, and Science. It is a member of the U15, a group of research-intensive universities in Canada.
The university bears the name of Honourable William McMaster, a prominent Canadian Senator and banker who bequeathed C$900,000 to the founding of the university. McMaster University was incorporated under the terms of an act of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario in 1887, merging the Toronto Baptist College with Woodstock College. It opened in Toronto in 1890. Inadequate facilities and the gift of land in Hamilton prompted the institution to relocate in 1930. McMaster was controlled by the Baptist Convention of Ontario and Quebec until it became a privately chartered, publicly funded non-denominational institution in 1957.
The university is co-educational, and has over 24,500 undergraduate and nearly 4,000 post-graduate students. Alumni and former students of the university can be found all across Canada and in 140 countries around the world. Notable alumni include government officials, academics, business leaders and two Nobel laureates. The university ranked 92nd in the 2013-2014 Times Higher Education World University Rankings, 92nd in the 2012 Academic Ranking of World Universities, and 140th in the 2013 QS World University Rankings.
The Latest Updated Research News:
McMaster University research articles from Innovation Toronto
- Scientists find Canadian dirt containing Kryptonite for superbugs – June 26, 2014
- Stanford bioengineers create circuit board modeled on the human brain | neuromorphic – April 29, 2014
- Testing for safe water – with just 1 pill – April 29, 2014
- Fighting cancer with lasers and nanoballoons that pop
- Scientists reveal cause of one of the most devastating pandemics in human history | plague
- Mac scientists make breakthrough in superbug research
- As Machines Get Smarter, Evidence Grows That They Learn Like Us
- The Scientific 7-Minute Workout
- Anti-Psychotic Drug Pushes Cancer Stem Cells Over the Edge
- Eating Your Greens Can Change the Effect of Your Genes On Heart Disease
- New Antibacterial Chemical Compound Discovered
- Identifying ID Theft And Fraud