The University of Miami (informally referred to as UM, U Miami, Miami, or The U) is a private, non-sectarian university located in Coral Gables, Florida, United States, founded in 1925.
In addition to the university’s main campus in Coral Gables, the university maintains a medical school in Miami’s Civic Center and an oceanographic research facility on Virginia Key.
As of 2012, the university currently enrolls 15,613 students in 12 separate colleges, including a medical school, law school, and a school focused on the study of oceanography and atmospheric sciences. These colleges offer approximately 115 undergraduate, 114 master’s, 51 doctoral, and two professional areas of study. Over the years, the University’s students have represented all 50 states and close to 150 foreign countries. With more than 13,000 full and part-time faculty and staff, UM is the sixth largest employer in Miami-Dade County.
Research is a component of each academic division, with UM attracting $326 million per year in sponsored research grants. UM offers a large library system with over 3.1 million volumes and exceptional holdings in Cuban heritage and music. UM also offers a wide range of student activities, including fraternities and sororities, a student newspaper and radio station. UM’s intercollegiate athletic teams, collectively known as the Miami Hurricanes, compete in Division I of the National Collegiate Athletic Association, and its football team has won five national championships since 1983.
The Latest Updated Research News:
University of Miami research articles from Innovation Toronto
- Ames Laboratory scientists create cheaper magnetic material for cars, wind turbines – April 26, 2015
- Scientists develop a ‘nanosubmarine’ that delivers complementary molecules inside cells – July 5, 2014
- Chasing the black holes of the ocean
- Online citizen scientists: Classify plankton images
- Attention, Shoppers: Store Is Tracking Your Cell
- Robotic-Assisted Radical Bladder Surgery Potentially Benefits Bladder Cancer Patients
- Aerospace Engineer’s Supersonic, Futuristic Flying Wing Design Wins Prestigious NASA Grant
- Deep Thought Is Dead, Long Live Deep Thought
- Changing the Pace of Scientific Research
- New Way to Assess Risk from Chemicals
- An eBay for science
- No Elder Left Behind: Researchers Say Designers Can Help Close Tech Gap
- Spin Battery: Physicist Develops Battery Using New Source Of Energy