UDEM was founded by the Daughters of the Immaculate Mary of Guadalupe, the nuns of the Sacred Heart, the Marist Brothers and the La Salle members, supported by an association of Catholic citizens. The idea originated from a recommendation given by the Second Vatican Council to use educational activities in favor of teaching the principles of the catholic doctrine.
The founding religious groups already had a deep history in Monterrey. The Society of the Sacred Heart of Jesus had been working in Monterrey since 1908, and the Sisters of Immaculate Mary of Guadalupe founded Labastida University in 1951, and had been running Labastida College since 1919, an institution devoted to the education of girls and young ladies. On the other hand, the Marist Brothers had been working in Monterrey since 1905, and La Salle Brothers, who had left Mexico during the Revolution war, returned in 1942 to Monterrey to found the Instituto Regiomontano.
On July 8, 1969, the university was recognized as such by the state of Nuevo Leon and on September 8 of the same year it began operating as an educational institution housed in 5 different facilities owned by the very same groups and associations that funded it, such as Labastida school.
Currently, UDEM educates over 12 thousand students, including high school students, undergraduates and postgraduates. The school offers 4 high school modes, 35 majors, 15 baccalaureate degrees and 29 medical specialties and doctorates. UDEM offers a number of choices to study abroad; UDEM has established bilateral, reciprocal and unilateral agreements, as well as arrangements through academic exchange agencies. In 2002, UDEM signed 26 new bilateral agreements with universities in the United States – such as the University of California – Berkeley and other universities in Spain, Italy, Belgium, England (such as University College, London), Germany and France (such as the Lycée Bossuet-Notre Dame, in Paris).