It is the largest applied physics organisation in the UK.
NPL is an internationally respected centre of excellence in measurement and materials science. Since 1900, when Bushy House was selected as the site of NPL, it has developed and maintained the primary national measurement standards. Today it provides the scientific resources for the National Measurement System financed by the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills. NPL also offers a range of commercial services, applying scientific skills to industrial measurement problems, and manages the MSF time signal.
The NPL cooperates with professional networks such as those of the IET to support scientists and engineers concerned with areas of work in which it has expertise.
National Physical Laboratory (NPL) research articles from Innovation Toronto
- British scientists develop solar panels which work better on a cloudy day
- Printing silver onto fibers could pave the way for flexible, wearable electronics
- ‘Maser’ source of microwave beams comes out of the cold
- Microwaved Pests: A new recipe for success?
- Scientists Set Out To Measure How We Perceive Naturalness