RMIT was founded in 1887 by grazier, politician and public benefactor the Hon. Francis Ormond—as the Working Men’s College of Melbourne.It is the third oldest tertiary education provider in Victoria, and is the eighth oldest provider of tertiary education in Australia. Its foundation campus is located in Melbourne City, and is a contiguous part of the northern area of the city centre.
It opened as a night school for instruction in art, science and technology—to support the industrialisation of Melbourne during the late-19th century. It had an initial enrollment of 320 students. Today, RMIT is the largest tertiary education provider in Australia. As of 2012, it has an enrolment of around 82,000 students across vocational, undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
In addition to its foundation campus, RMIT has two radial campuses in the Melbourne metropolitan area—located in the suburbs of Bundoora and Brunswick; as well as training and research sites in the Melbourne metropolitan area and the Grampians state region—located in the suburb of Point Cook and town of Hamilton respectively. It also has two branch campuses in Asia—located in Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi, Vietnam; and a coordinating centre in Europe—located in Barcelona, Spain.
RMIT University research articles from Innovation Toronto
- Kestrel inspires unpowered, autonomous glider to climb higher – December 19, 2015
- Photons on a chip set new paths for secure communications – November 15, 2015
- New nebuliser set to replace the need for jabs – September 20, 2015
- Design innovations are blowing in the wind – June 7, 2015
- Nano memory cell can mimic the brain’s long-term memory – May 13, 2015
- Talking drone offers aviation safety boost – February 28, 2015
- Research mimics brain cells to boost memory power – September 30, 2014
- Micro-manufacturing breakthrough is wired for sound – June 29, 2014
- RMIT researchers have developed a new antibacterial fabric that can kill a range of infectious bacteria, such as E coli, within 10 minutes – May 6, 2014
- Bio-inspired unmanned aircraft capable of soaring like birds
- Proton flow battery advances hydrogen power
- Breakthrough advances nanomaterials for printable solar cells
- New 2D material for next generation high-speed electronics
- Interactive LED Helmet Lets Bikers Signal With Their Heads
- Joggobot turns a quadrocopter into a running companion
- Bee research breakthrough might lead to artificial vision