Founded in 1898 by Dr. Roswell Park, RPCI is the nation’s first cancer center, and it is the only upstate New York facility to hold the National Cancer Institute designation of “comprehensive cancer center” and to serve as a member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network. In addition, RPCI is the first dedicated medical facility for cancer treatment and research in the United States. The Institute is involved in drug development and conducts clinical research for cancer treatment.
The campus occupies 28 acres (110,000 m2) on the 100-acre Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus (BNMC) in downtown Buffalo, and includes 1,500,000 square feet (140,000 m2) of space equally distributed between clinical programs and research/education functions. A hospital building, completed in 1998, houses a diagnostic and treatment center. The campus includes a medical research complex and renovated existing education and research space. RPCI provides advanced treatment for all forms of adult and pediatric cancer, as well as cancer education and research facilities in 15 separate buildings that occupy approximately two million square feet.