Its campus covers over 359 acres (145 ha) in downtown Columbia not far from the South Carolina State House. The University is categorized by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching as having “very high research activity” and curricular community engagement. It has been ranked as an “up-and-coming” university by U.S. News & World Report, and its undergraduate and graduate International Business programs have ranked among the top three programs in the nation for over a decade. It also houses the largest collection of Robert Burns and Scottish literature materials outside of Scotland, and the largest Ernest Hemingway collection in the world.
Founded in 1801 as South Carolina College, USC is the flagship institution of the University of South Carolina System and offers more than 350 programs of study leading to bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees from fourteen degree-granting colleges and schools. The University of South Carolina System has an enrollment of approximately 47,724 students, with 32,848 on the main Columbia campus as of fall 2013. USC also has several thousand future students in feeder programs at surrounding technical colleges. Professional schools on the Columbia campus include social work, business, engineering, law, medicine, and pharmacy.
University of South Carolina research articles from Innovation Toronto
- Patents Issued for Novel Home Cleaning Method to Reduce Asthma – May 29, 2014
- Research shows smartphone sensors leave trackable fingerprints – May 2, 2014
- Penicillin redux: Rearming proven warriors for the 21st century – April 15, 2014
- Chaotic physics in ferroelectrics hints at brain-like computing
- Competition Changes How People View Strangers Online
- Copper Surfaces Reduce the Rate of Healthcare-Acquired Infections in the ICU
- Turning Pine Sap Into “Ever-Green” Plastics
- Robot Improves Quality of Life for Autistic Children
- Automatic photo tagging with TagSense smartphone app