Founded in 1850, it is Australia’s first university and is regarded as one of its most prestigious, ranked as the 27th most reputable university in the world. In 2013, it was ranked 38th and in the top 0.3% in the QS World University Rankings. Five Nobel or Crafoord laureates have been affiliated with the university as graduates and faculty.
The University comprises 16 faculties and schools, through which it offers bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees. In 2011 it had 32,393 undergraduate and 16,627 graduate students. The main campus spreads across the suburbs of Camperdown and Darlington on the southwestern outskirts of the Sydney CBD.
Sydney is a member of Australia’s Group of Eight, Academic Consortium 21, the Association of Pacific Rim Universities (APRU) and the Worldwide Universities Network. The University is also colloquially known as one of Australia’s sandstone universities.
University of Sydney research articles from Innovation Toronto
- Optics breakthrough to revamp night vision from defense to agriculture – May 26, 2016
- Wheat disease-resistance gene identified, potential to save billions – November 11, 2015
- Oxytocin has social, emotional and behavioral benefits in young kids with autism – October 31, 2015
- Silk and Ceramics Offer Hope for Long-term Repair of Joint Injuries – September 26, 2015
- Drones used to track wildlife – August 27, 2015
- Power of the media’s impact on medicine use revealed – June 16, 2015
- MIT engineers hand “cognitive” control to underwater robots – May 8, 2015
- A step closer to bio-printing transplantable tissues and organs – July 1, 2014
- Australian cardiologist regrows monkey hearts with human stem cells – May 1, 2014
- Heart attack damage slashed with microparticle therapy
- CowBot: Robot used to round up cows is a hit with farmers
- Australian Startups Zookal And Flirtey To Begin Delivering Textbook Orders By Drone
- Surface that stays dry forever, never needs cleaning or able to repel bacteria or even prevent mould and fungi growth
- From Cancer Treatment to Ion Thruster: The Newest Little Idea for Nanosat Micro Rockets
- Scientists Refine Warp-Drive Concept Using Space-Time Distortion
- Robots to drones, Australia eyes high-tech farm help to grow food
- Geo-engineering against climate change
- Automated agriculture
- Breakthrough in solar cell efficiency
- Researchers create nano-architectured aluminum alloy with strength of steel