The University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna, or simply BOKU (derived from its German name, Universität für Bodenkultur Wien, literally Vienna University for Soil Culture), founded in 1872, is “an education and research centre for renewable resources” in Vienna.
There are currently around 12,000 students enrolled at BOKU.
The original campus was built in 1896 in the Türkenschanzpark in Vienna’s 18th and 19th districts. The Departments of Sustainable Agriculture, Viticulture, Soil Science, Horticulture, and Animal Husbandry are still headquartered at this original campus. Another campus, located near the Heiligenstadt subway station, is the headquarters for the biotechnology, chemistry, plant sciences, water resource management, and food sciences departments. A new building with chemistry and food sciences laboratories, facilities, and lecture halls was completed at this campus in 2009. There is also a research facility in Tulln, north of the city, with biotechnology and agricultural sciences laboratories and facilities.