The University of Virginia (often abbreviated as UVA, UVa, or Virginia) is a public research university in Charlottesville, Virginia, United States.
It was conceived and designed by U.S. President Thomas Jefferson, and established in 1819. UVA’s initial Board of Visitors included former Presidents of the United States Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, and James Monroe. Monroe owned the initial site of the University, which was mostly farmland. His law office and farmhouse are now the site of Brown College at Monroe Hill, a residential college at UVA.
UVA is one of the eight original Public Ivy universities, and it is the only university campus in the United States that is designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. In the 2013 edition of U.S. News & World Report’s National University Rankings, the school was listed as America’s 2nd best public university, tied with UCLA and surpassed only by UC Berkeley.
The Latest Updated Research News:
University of Virginia research articles from Innovation Toronto
- Gene helps prevent heart attack, stroke — and may offer way to block effects of aging – May 18, 2016
- Scientists use Synthetic Gene and Magnets to Alter Behavior of Mice, Fish – March 11, 2016
- FUEL VS. FOOD? – March 4, 2016
- Enormous blades longer than two football fields could lead to more offshore energy in U.S. – January 30, 2016
- Cell surface discovery may lead to major breakthrough in cancer treatment – September 13, 2015
- Nearly indestructible virus yields tool to treat diseases – May 29, 2015
- Breadth vs. Depth: McIntire Professor Tom Bateman Investigates Why Some Researchers Are Inclined to Span Boundaries, Others to Remain within Them – March 18, 2015
- Newly Identified ‘Universal’ Property of Metamagnets May Lead to Magnetic Refrigeration – May 1, 2014
- VIDEO: University of Virginia Engineers are Designing, Building Mechanical Ray
- Unreliable research: Trouble at the lab
- Simple Ultrasound Treatment May Help Protect the Kidneys
- Microphones as sensors: Teaching old microphones new tricks
- Solar-Powered Wheelchair Wins World Cerebral Palsy Day Competition
- New Silicone Rubber
- U.Va. Nonprofit Organization, PureMadi, Develops Innovative Water Purification Tablet for Developing World
- First Global Assessment of Land and Water ‘Grabbing’ Published in National Journal
- Quest to Find New Uses for Abundant Natural Gas
- New communication systems would allow vehicles to ‘talk’ with roadways
- The Trouble With Online Education
- Top Universities Test the Online Appeal of Free
- Kinect system keeps track of household objects
- Why We Need Biophilic Cities
- Type 1 Diabetes: Artificial Pancreas Approved for US Outpatient Testing
- Instruction for Masses Knocks Down Campus Walls
- A Young Tunisian Researcher’s Scientific Breakthrough in Cure of Diabetes
- A better kind of lightbulb?
- Bearings That Pack a Punch (and Their Own Controls)
- Gold Used to Discover Breakthrough for Biorenewable Chemicals
- Is Algae Worse than Corn for Biofuels?
- The Biggest Issue