The University of York (informally York University, or simply York, abbreviated as Ebor. for post-nominals), is a research-intensive plate glass university located in the city of York, England.
Established in 1963, the campus university has expanded to more than thirty departments and centres, covering a wide range of subjects. York has been named the 7th best university under 50 years old in the world (and 1st within the UK), building a “reputation to rival Oxford and Cambridge”. Along with the LSE, York is the only university in the UK to displace the University of Oxford to second place in league tables, second only to University of Cambridge. The university also places among the top 10 in the country, top 20 universities in Europe, and ranked 96th in the world, according to the 2011 QS World University Rankings. York is among the United Kingdom’s most selective universities, having one of the highest entry requirements in the country for undergraduate studies, being described as a “genuinely world class” institution.
In the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise, York was also named as the 8th best research institution in the United Kingdom, the Sunday Times university of the year in 2003 and Times Higher Education university of the year in 2010. In 2012, York was invited to join the Russell Group in recognition of the institution’s world-leading research and outstanding teaching.
The University attracts a student body with a wide range of backgrounds (with over 41,000 part-time and full-time student applications in 2010/11), including a large number of international students, and a relatively high number of state school students in comparison to other well-ranked universities according to The Times Good University Guide.
The Latest Updated Research News:
University of York research articles from Innovation Toronto
- Fighting explosives pollution with plants – September 4, 2015
- Are there enough fish to go around? – October 15, 2014
- Plant variants point the way to improved and cheaper biofuel production – September 29, 2014
- Facelock: A new password alternative which plays to the strengths of human memory – June 25, 2014
- A discovery is made that could revolutionize the computer and telecommunications industry | topological insulators – May 4, 2014
- Facial recognition is in (the reflection of) the eye of the beholder
- Researchers warn of the ‘myths’ of global medical tourism
- Enzyme from wood-eating gribble could help turn waste into biofuel
- New research moves York scientists closer to lung cancer blood test
- Recording data using heat could lead to faster, more efficient magnetic recording devices
- Conservation Scientists ‘Unanimous’ in Expectations of Serious Loss of Biological Diversity
- ‘Microwave waste’ to get biofuel
- Harmless Soil-Dwelling Bacteria Successfully Kill Cancer
- Environmental Problem With Carpet Tiles Solved