The Jožef Stefan Institute (IJS) (Slovene: Institut “Jožef Stefan”), is the largest research institute in Slovenia.
The main research areas are physics, chemistry, molecular biology, biotechnology, information technologies, reactor physics, energy and environment. At the beginning of the 2013 the Institute had 962 employees, 404 among them were Ph.D scientists.
The mission of the Jožef Stefan Institute is the accumulation – and dissemination – of knowledge at the frontiers of natural science and technology to the benefit of society at large through the pursuit of education, learning, research, and development of high technology at the highest international levels of excellence.
The Institute was founded by Yugoslav State Security in 1949 for atomic weapons research. Initially, the Vinča Nuclear Institute in Belgrade was established in 1948, followed by Rudjer Boskovic in Zagreb in 1949 and the Jožef Stefan Institute as an Institute for Physics within the Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts. It is named after the distinguished 19th century physicist Jožef Stefan, most famous for his work on the Stefan-Boltzmann law of black-body radiation. IJS is today involved in a wide variety of fields of both scientific and economic interest. After close to 60 years of scientific achievement, the Institute has become part of the image of Slovenia.
The Institute has facilities in two locations. The main facilities and the headquarters are on Jamova 39 in Ljubljana, the other location is the Institute’s Reactor Center Podgorica located in Dol near Ljubljana.
Over the last 60 years it has created a number of important institutions, such as the University of Nova Gorica, the Jožef Stefan International Postgraduate School and the Ljubljana Technology park.