Lomonosov Moscow State University (Russian: Московский государственный университет имени М. В. Ломоносова, Moskóvskiy gosudárstvennyy universitét ímeni M. V. Lomonósova), previously known as Lomonosov University or MSU (Russian: университет Ломоносова, Universitét Lomonósova; Russian: МГУ, MGU), is the oldest and largest university in Russia.
Founded in 1755, the university was renamed in honor of its founder, Mikhail Lomonosov, in 1940. It also claims to have the tallest educational building in the world. Its current rector is Viktor Sadovnichiy.
A few more narrowly specialized Moscow colleges, including the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology and the Moscow State Institute of International Relations were split off from MSU at one time or another and have since established strong reputations of their own, arguably even surpassing their parent in terms of prestige and quality of education.
The university has well-established contacts with the most distinguished universities in the world, exchanging students and lecturers with the leading international institutions of higher education. It houses the UNESCO International Demography Courses, the UNESCO Hydrology Courses, the International Biotechnology Center, the International LASER Center, courses or seminars on Russian as a foreign language. In 1991 the French University College, the Russian-American University and the Institute of German Science and Culture were opened. The university has awarded honorary degrees to more than 60 scientists, statesmen and politicians from abroad. Many prominent university scholars and scientists in return hold honorary degrees from foreign academies and universities.
The Latest Updated Research News:
Lomonosov Moscow State University research articles from Innovation Toronto
- Personal computer bests supercomputers to solve complicated integral equations of quantum mechanics – July 7, 2016
- Revolutionary drug for cataracts and dry eye explained – May 15, 2016
- Revolutionary Antibiotics that Will Save the World? – April 26, 2016
- Scientists develop a 100 times faster type of memory cell – March 21, 2016
- New material to enhance battery life – 75% charge in just 90 seconds – February 23, 2016
- The world’s fastest nanoscale photonics switch – October 29, 2015
- Novel DNA repair mechanism brings new horizons – July 5, 2015
- Tech titans gather to make winners of the ‘Oscars of science’ into instant millionaires
- Discovery Could Yield Treatments for Cocaine Addicts
- Another tiny miracle: Graphene oxide soaks up radioactive waste
- Massive data for miniscule communities
- Leading Lights