Michigan Technological University (commonly referred to as Michigan Tech, MTU, or simply Tech) is a public research university located in Houghton, Michigan, United States.
Its main campus sits on 925 acres (374 ha) on a bluff overlooking Portage Lake. Michigan Tech was founded in 1885 as the first post-secondary institution in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and was created to train mining engineers to operate the local copper mines.
The university’s name has changed three times to reflect expansions of degree offerings. Science, technology, forestry and business have been added to the numerous engineering disciplines, and Michigan Tech now offers more than 130 degree programs through its five colleges and schools. US News and World Report ranked Michigan Tech’s undergraduate program 115th in the nation based on peer assessment, student selectivity, financial resources and other factors. Michigan Tech was also rated among the “Best in the Midwest” by The Princeton Review.
The Latest Updated Research News:
Michigan Technological University research articles from Innovation Toronto
- BNNTs Road To Better Wearable Tech Without Semiconductors – February 6, 2016
- Drone Catcher: “Robotic Falcon” can Capture, Retrieve Renegade Drones – January 9, 2016
- Shaking the nanomaterials out – December 11, 2015
- Making a Difference with Open Source Science Equipment – September 14, 2015
- Making a Better Nitrate Test Kit – August 10, 2015
- Bioprinting in 3D: Looks Like Candy, Could Regenerate Nerve Cells – May 12, 2015
- Bacterial Slime: It’s what’s for Dinner (After a Catastrophic Crop Failure) – November 29, 2014
- Ethical Filament: Can Fair Trade Plastic Save People and the Planet? – October 3, 2014
- No Power? Robots to the Rescue – September 27, 2014
- Toward Smarter Underwater Drones – June 1, 2014
- In Search of . . . Time Travelers
- New 3D Metal Printer Is Open Source and Affordable
- 8 Apps That Turn Citizens into Scientists
- Researchers Developing an Artificial Leg with a Natural Gait
- 3D Printing: The Greener Choice
- New nanotube surface promises dental implants that heal faster and fight infection
- From Cancer Treatment to Ion Thruster: The Newest Little Idea for Nanosat Micro Rockets
- 3D Graphene: Solar Power’s Next Platinum?
- Make It Yourself and Save—a Lot—with 3D Printers
- Beyond Silicon: Transistors without Semiconductors
- Zinc: The Perfect Material for Bioabsorbable Stents?
- A Simple Solution to Air Pollution From Wood-Burning Cookstoves
- Scientist Discovers New Application for Copper That Can Be Used to Improve Food Safety
- Turning Trash into Cash . . . and Saving Energy
- Rice-Cell Cocktail Kills Cancer Cells, Leaves Normal Cells Alone
- Let It Snow! Solar Panels Can Take It
- Do It Yourself and Save: Making Equipment for the Lab, in the Lab
- Keeping Wood Preservatives Where They Belong: In the Wood
- CO2 scrubber turns carbon emissions into building materials
- In Search Of Wildlife-friendly Biofuels: Are Native Prairie Plants the Answer?
- New device could allow your heartbeat to power pacemaker
- Electric Car-Makers Plan to Cut the Cord
- New manufacturing method gives shape to carbon nanotubes
- Scientists create organic ‘molecular computer’