Georgetown University is a private research university in Washington, D.C. Founded in 1789, it is the oldest Jesuit and Catholic university in the United States.
Georgetown’s main campus, located in Washington’s Georgetown neighborhood, is noted for Healy Hall, a National Historic Landmark in the Romanesque revival style. Georgetown operates a law center on Capitol Hill and auxiliary campuses in Italy, Turkey, and Qatar.
Georgetown’s founding by John Carroll, America’s first Catholic bishop, realized earlier efforts to establish a Roman Catholic college in the province of Maryland that had been thwarted by religious persecution. The university expanded after the American Civil War under the leadership of Patrick Francis Healy, who came to be known as Georgetown’s “second founder” despite having been born a slave by law. Jesuits have participated in the university’s administration since 1805, a heritage Georgetown celebrates, but the university has always been governed independently of the Society of Jesus and of church authorities.
The university has around 7,000 undergraduate and over 8,000 post-graduate students from a wide variety of religious, ethnic, and geographic backgrounds, including 130 foreign countries. The university’s most notable alumni are prominent in public life in the United States and abroad. Among them are former U.S. President Bill Clinton, U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia, dozens of U.S. governors and members of Congress, heads of state or government of more than a dozen countries, royalty and diplomats.
The Latest Updated Research News:
Georgetown University research articles from Innovation Toronto
- The Test Could Be the First Step in Developing Treatments to Halt or Slow Alzheimer’s – May 25, 2014
- Who Says Math Has to Be Boring?
- Compound Derived from Vegetables Shields Rodents from Lethal Radiation Doses
- 4.4 million jobs will be created worldwide to support Big Data by 2015
- In Study, Drug Delays Worsening of Breast Cancer, With Fewer Side Effects
- How to Make Science and Tech Jobs More Enticing to Undergrads
- A breakthrough in live cancer cells research
- Dolphins’ ‘Remarkable’ Recovery from Injury Offers Important Insights for Human Healing