Hunan Agricultural University (Chinese: 湖南农业大学 pinyin: Húnán Nóngyè Dàxué, commonly referred to as HAU or Nongda) is a public research university located in Changsha, Hunan, China.
Founded in 1951, the University was incorporated by two independent colleges under the name “Hunan Agricultural College”. Since Hunan was an agricultural powerhouse for the country, Mao Zedong, the founding father of the People’s Republic of China, inscribed the school’s name on its entrance sign. It changed to its current name in 1994.
The institution began with a focus on training students in various agricultural disciplines. After more than a half century’s development, the school has evolved into a renowned comprehensive university. In 1978, HAU started to award master’s degrees. As of 2007, more than 50,000 students from 31 provinces across China study there, including 24,000 undergraduates, 26,000 continuing education students, 3000 graduate and doctoral students.