It is one of seven Research Councils in the UK and is answerable to, although politically independent from, the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills.
The MRC focuses on high-impact research and has provided the financial support and scientific expertise behind a number of medical breakthroughs, including the development of penicillin and the discovery of the structure of DNA. Research funded by the MRC has produced 30 Nobel Prize winners to date.
Medical Research Council research articles from Innovation Toronto
- Major synthetic life breakthrough as scientists make the first artificial enzymes – December 2, 2014
- AstraZeneca to share its drug research with the Medical Research Council
- Breakthrough as scientists regenerate an animal’s organ for the first time – paving the way for organ restoration in humans
- Light-activated neurons from stem cells restore function to paralysed muscles
- Melbourne scientists make brittle bone breakthrough
- Breakthrough could mean fewer people needing organ transplants
- Scots scientists in diabetes breakthrough
- Magic mushroom depression trial tripped up by ‘absurd’ drug laws
- An advance toward a flu-fighting nasal spray
- Dundee University scientists have made a major breakthrough that could stop devastating Parkinson’s disease ”in its tracks”.