Founded in 1854, the Institute adopted the European polytechnic university model which tend to be primarily devoted to the instruction of technical arts and applied sciences.; it is the second oldest private engineering and technology institute in the United States. Its laboratory instruction at the undergraduate and graduate levels led to close cooperation with industry.
Its main campus is centrally located in the MetroTech Center, the nation’s largest urban university-industry science and technology park. NYU-Poly is MetroTech’s founding member. NYU-Poly operates several on-campus and off-campus business incubators and is known for its success in the transfer of technology from the laboratory to the marketplace. NYU-Poly is one of the eight schools of NYU that is part of the NYU Entrepreneurs Network (NYUEN).
NYU Polytechnic is classified by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching as a Doctorate-Granting “Research University” with very high research activity. Its financial engineering program was the second program of its kind and the first curriculum to be certified by the International Association of Financial Engineers. It was one of the first universities to introduce a cyber security program and is designated as both a Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education and a Center of Academic Excellence in Research by the National Security Agency.
Polytechnic is the first school in New York City to receive the designation Center of Excellence in Information Assurance Education by the U.S. National Security Agency. The first polymer science and polymer engineering programs in the U.S. began at NYU-Poly. In 1950, the NYU-Poly division of the American Chemical Society was formed, and has since grown to the second-largest division in this association with nearly 8,000 members.
Polytechnic Institute of New York University research articles from Innovation Toronto
- A Metal Composite that will (literally) Float your Boat – May 13, 2015
- NASA announces new CubeSat space mission candidates
- Robotic Fish Research Swims into New Ethorobotics Waters
- Research Paves Path for Hybrid NanoMaterials That Could Replace Human Tissue or Today’s Pills
- NYU-Poly Nano Scientists Reach the Holy Grail in Label-Free Cancer Marker Detection: Single Molecules
- Robot becomes a leader among fish
- Nanofiber breakthrough holds promise for medicine and microprocessors
- Will the Car of the Future Be Made from Coal Ash?
- LED light bulbs can be brighter and more energy efficient than ever