The University of Luxembourg is the only university in Luxembourg, founded on 13 August 2003.
Prior to that, there were several higher educational institutions such as the cour universitaire or the IST that offered one or two years of academic studies. Luxembourgish students had to go abroad in order to complete their studies at a university (usually to Belgium, France, Germany, Austria, and the United Kingdom). The new university makes it possible for these students to complete their studies in their own country, as well as attract foreign academic interest to Luxembourg.
The University is currently divided into three Campuses, namely:
- Campus Limpertsberg hosting the Faculty of Law, Economics and Finance and parts of the Faculty of Science, Technology and Communication as well as the central administration units of the University
- Campus Kirchberg hosting further parts of the Faculty of Science, Technology and Communications
- Campus Walferdange hosting the Faculty of Language and Literature, Humanities, Arts and Education
By the finalisation of the restructured campus in Esch-Belval, south of the capital, two of the three faculties will relocate there: The Faculty of Arts, Humanities, Arts and Education Sciences will first do so in summer 2014, followed by the Faculty of Sciences, Technology and Communication in 2015 and 2016. The Faculty of Law, Economics and Finance will remain on Campus Limpertsberg.
Like Luxembourg itself, the studies at the University of Luxembourg are characterised by their multilingualism. Courses are usually held in two languages: French/English, French/German, or English/German.
The Latest Updated Research News:
University of Luxembourg research articles from Innovation Toronto
- Understanding how to teach “intelligence” – February 13, 2015
- Bitcoin, virtual money: User’s identity can be revealed much easier than thought – November 26, 2014
- A potentially revolutionnary material
- Researcher demonstrates vulnerabilities of mobile phones
- Cheaper metal powders such as tantalum and titanium are about to become cheap and plentiful