The University of Barcelona (Catalan: Universitat de Barcelona, UB; IPA: [uniβərsiˈtad də βərsəˈɫonə]; Spanish: Universidad de Barcelona) is a public university located in the city of Barcelona, Catalonia in Spain.
With 75 undergraduate programs, 353 graduate programs and 96 doctorate programs to over 63,700 students, UB was considered to be the best University in Spain in the 2011 QS World University Rankings.
The University of Barcelona is the principal centre of university research in Spain and has become a European benchmark for research activity, both in terms of the number of research programs it conducts and the excellence these have achieved. According to the 2011 CYD Report, it is the highest-placed Spanish university in terms of scientific output, with a total of 15,290 papers published between 2006 and 2010, also leading the ranking of Spanish universities in terms of percentage of papers published in high impact journals.
It has 106 departments and more than 5,000 full-time researchers, technicians and research assistants, most of whom work in the university 243 research groups as recognized and supported by the Government of Catalonia. In 2010 the UB was awarded 175 national research grants and 17 European grants and participated in over 500 joint research projects with the business sector, generating an overall research income of 70 million euros. The work of these groups is overseen by the UB’s research centres and institutes which collaborate with leading research institutions and networks in Spain and abroad. The UB is also home to three large research foundations: the Barcelona Science Park Foundation (PCB), which includes the Institute of Biomedical Research of Barcelona (IRBB); the August Pi i Sunyer Biomedical Research Institute (IDIBAPS); and the Bellvitge Institute for Biomedical Research (IDIBELL).
The Latest Updated Research News:
University of Barcelona research articles from Innovation Toronto
- Researchers use real data rather than theory to measure the cosmos – December 13, 2014
- UMD Researchers Address Economic Dangers of ‘Peak Oil’
- A New Family of Antibiotics – A Marine Compound With Antibiotic Properties
- Pioneering Breakthrough of Chemical Nanoengineering to Design Drugs Controlled by Light
- UAB researchers cure type 1 diabetes in dogs
- Virtual reality ‘beaming’ technology transforms human-animal interaction
- An immunosuppressive drug could delay the onset of neurodegenerative diseases
- Researchers Create the First GPS for the Blind
- Cloaking breakthrough makes objects magnetically undetectable
- Electrocution of Birds and Collision With Power Lines