The University of Central Florida, commonly referred to as UCF, is a metropolitan public research university located in Orlando, Florida, United States. UCF is a member institution of the State University System of Florida, and it is the second-largest university in the United States by enrollment.
The University of Central Florida was authorized by the Florida State Legislature in 1963, and opened in 1968 as Florida Technological University, with the mission of providing personnel to support the growing U.S. space program at the Kennedy Space Center, which is located only 35 miles (56 km) to the east. “Florida Tech” was renamed The University of Central Florida in 1978, as the university’s academic scope expanded beyond its original focus on engineering and technology.
Although initial enrollment in 1968 was only 1,948 students, as of 2013 enrollment consists of 60,181 students from over 140 countries, all 50 states and Washington, D.C. The majority of the student population is located on the university’s 1,415-acre (5.726 km2) main campus approximately 13 miles (21 km) east-northeast of downtown Orlando and 55 miles (89 km) south-southwest of Daytona Beach. The university offers over 200 degree options through twelve colleges and twelve satellite campuses throughout Florida. Since its founding, UCF has awarded almost 250,000 degrees, including 45,000 graduate, specialist and professional degrees, to over 200,000 alumni worldwide.
The Latest Updated Research News:
University of Central Florida research articles from Innovation Toronto
- Lathering Up with Sunscreen May Protect Against Cancer – Killing Coral Reefs Worldwide – October 26, 2015
- World’s first full-color, flexible, revolutionary, skin-like display technology – June 27, 2015
- $1 Test Developed at UCF Outperforms PSA Screening for Prostate Cancer – April 13, 2015
- Robot surrogates to train Marines – February 3, 2015
- 255Tbps: World’s fastest network could carry all of the internet’s traffic on a single fiber – October 29, 2014
- New Idea in Energy Storage: Wires that Store and Transmit Energy – June 3, 2014
- ‘Dressed’ Laser Aimed at Clouds May be Key to Inducing Rain, Lightning | control rain and lightning – April 20, 2014
- NanoTech Leads to Break-Through in Stealth Technology
- Research team finds way to make solar cells thin, efficient and flexible
- New nanoparticle discovery opens door for pharmaceuticals
- New ‘Frozen Smoke’ May Improve Robotic Surgery, Energy Storage
- Robotic arm users find it ‘too easy’
- Penn Study Treats Alzheimer’s by Delivering Protein Across Blood-Brain Barrier