The University of South Florida, also known as USF, is a member institution of the State University System of Florida and a public research university located in Tampa, Florida, USA.
Founded in 1956, USF is the fourth-largest public university in the state of Florida, with a total enrollment of 47,646 as of the 2012–2013 academic year. The USF system comprises three institutions: USF Tampa, USF St. Petersburg and USF Sarasota-Manatee. Each institution is separately accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. The university is home to 14 colleges, offering over 80 undergraduate majors and more than 130 graduate, specialist, and doctoral-level degree programs.
USF is classified by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching in the top tier of research universities, and is one of only four universities in Florida to hold this highest level of classification. In its 2011 ranking, the Intellectual Property Owners Association placed USF 10th among all universities worldwide in the number of US patents granted. The university has an annual budget of $1.5 billion and an annual economic impact of $3.7 billion. In a ranking compiled by the National Science Foundation, USF has the 50th-highest research expenditure in the United States and in the state of Florida only trails the University of Florida.
The Latest Updated Research News:
University of South Florida research articles from Innovation Toronto
- USF Biologist Discovers Secret to Highly Efficient Swimming in Certain Animals, Such as Jellyfish – November 6, 2015
- High costs of research at universities made worse by funding gap
- USF research may lead to PTSD treatment
- Breakthrough in developing new tools for cleaner air and energy production
- VIDEO: Shape Shifting Invention
- New Energy Technologies Promise Brighter Future
- Accelerated Resolution Therapy shows dramatic reductions in PTSD symptoms
- New Anti-Cancer Vaccine Developed and Tested
- Growth-Factor-Containing Nanoparticles Accelerate Healing of Chronic Wounds
- Panama disease spreads among bananas again
- New study offers hope for halting incurable citrus disease
- Expert: Transgenics could head off ‘the end of orange juice’
- Coral Transplants Offer Hope to Threatened Reefs