Carnegie Mellon University Carnegie Mellon or CMU is a private research university in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States.
The university began as the Carnegie Technical Schools founded by Andrew Carnegie in 1900. In 1913, the school became the Carnegie Institute of Technology and began granting four-year degrees. In 1967, the Carnegie Institute of Technology merged with the Mellon Institute of Industrial Research to form Carnegie Mellon University.
The university’s 140-acre (0.57 km2) main campus is 3 miles (4.8 km) from Downtown Pittsburgh and abuts the Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh, the main branch of the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh, Schenley Park, Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, and the campus of the University of Pittsburgh in the city’s Oakland and Squirrel Hill neighborhoods, partially extending into Shadyside.
Carnegie Mellon has seven colleges and independent schools: the Carnegie Institute of Technology (engineering), College of Fine Arts, Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences, Mellon College of Science, Tepper School of Business, H. John Heinz III College and the School of Computer Science.
Carnegie Mellon University research articles from Innovation Toronto
- Korean Robot Makers Walk Off With $2 Million Prize – June 7, 2015
- Iris Scans: Security Breakthrough Or Privacy Invasion? – May 27, 2015
- Researchers Test Smartphones for Earthquake Warning – April 13, 2015
- Revolutionary Solar-friendly Form of Silicon Shines – November 25, 2014
- Carnegie Mellon Chemists Create Nanofibers Using Unprecedented New Method – August 3, 2014
- Bio-Inspired Robotic Device Could Aid Ankle-Foot Rehabilitation
- Biodegradable Batteries to Power Smart Medical Devices
- Carnegie Mellon computer searches web 24/7 to analyze images and teach itself common sense
- Carnegie Mellon Researchers Use Inkblots To Improve Security of Online Passwords
- Carnegie Mellon-Disney Motion Tracking Technology Is Extremely Precise and Inexpensive With Minimal Lag
- Carnegie Mellon, Microsoft Researchers Demonstrate Internal Tagging Technique for 3D-Printed Objects
- Carnegie Mellon-Developed Chemicals That Break Down Water Contaminants Pass Safety Test
- Carnegie Mellon Method Uses Network of Cameras to Track People in Complex Indoor Settings
- Carnegie Mellon Researchers Develop Zooming Technique For Entering Text Into Smartwatches, Ultra-small Computers
- With Wave of the Hand, Carnegie Mellon Researchers Create Touch-based Interfaces on Everyday Surfaces
- Carnegie Mellon, Concurrent Technologies To Develop Robotic Laser System That Strips Paint From Aircraft
- VIDEO: Public Can Explore Time-Lapse Videos of Earth With New Tool From Carnegie Mellon and Google
- Researchers Use Machine Learning to Boil Down the Stories that Wearable Cameras Are Telling
- Cadillac SRX converted into a self-driving car
- Will the Robot Uprising Be Squishy?
- DARPA’s ATLAS humanoid robot gears up for disaster response
- CMU’s snake robot explores defunct nuclear power plant
- FTC Wants You in Control of Your Data
- Can you feel me now?
- Robots Learn Proper Handoff, Follow Digitized Human Examples
- Helper Robots Are Steered, Tentatively, to Care for the Aging
- Dawn of the bot? New era nears, experts say